TU-CAPS International Conference
Welcome to the 3rd Thammasat Annual Academics and Post Graduate Conference in Asia-Pacific Studies (TU-CAPS) 2018. Our TU-CAPS will be held on 6-7 December 2018 at DusitThani Hua Hin, Phetchaburi, Thailand.
Our TU-CAPS 2018 will bring together scholars, researchers and post-graduate students from leading universities around the world to exchange knowledge, perspectives and ideas from wide range of disciplines such as economics, politics and international relations, security and defense, law, history, cultural studies, disaster management, telecommunication and ICT development as well as area studies, to promote the study of Asia-Pacific and to strengthen academic research network between scholars and universities in the Asia-Pacific region.
Theme of TU-CAPS 2018 is “Asia Pacific amidst the Challenging Times”
There goes a saying, “the only permanent thing in this world is change.” Henceforth, this quote transcends the boundary of literature as it had encapsulated the reality of our changing dynamic global landscape today. The change that is being observed however, is not that for the good but for the worst. Turbulence, disruption and instability are in fact some of the words associated when it comes to describing the world’s current state. Some of the issues and challenges facing the region today ranges from the potential trade war between US and China to the decline of the West, the rise of populist leaders and the growing unpredictability of North Korea’s Kim to the ailing demographic conditions of Japan and Thailand. Hence this year’s theme “Asia Pacific amidst the Challenging Times”. The test for us scholars, especially for those dedicated in the area studies of Asia Pacific Region is to take these challenges as opportunities of stimulating academic debate to provide understanding for the world.
TU-CAPS International conference includes 2 concordance sessions
1. Thammasat Annual Academic and Post-Graduate Conference on Asia-Pacific Studies focuses on wide range of disciplines such as economics, politics and international relations, security and defense, law, history, cultural studies as well as area studies, to promote the study of Asia-Pacific and to strengthen academic research network between scholars and universities in the Asia-Pacific region. This session is also a showcase for students of Master of Arts in Asia-Pacific Studies Program and students from around the world to present their researches on Asia-Pacific region.
At our 2018 conference, there will be three specialized panels on area studies to this session including:
- Panel on Asia-Pacific Studies focuses on economics, trade, development, and contemporary issues in Asia-Pacific region
- Panel on Japanese Studies focuses on the role of Japan in Asia-Pacific region
- Panel on Australian Studies focuses on security issues and modern Australian economy: SMEs and family business
2. Telecommunication and ICT Development Policy in Asia-Pacific Region includes topics such as digital society, telecommunication and broadcasting development, and regulations and policy implementation.
Each year the central theme will be set to provide the direction of the panel and people presentation. The 2nd TU-CAPS International Conference will dedicate to the study of the Asia-Pacific region which is now the centre of global phenomenon.
The central theme of the conference is “Asia-Pacific: the New World Focal Point”. Our main themes include
- Security and Defense
- Economics and Trade
- Development and Public Policy
- Disaster Management
- Political Economy
- Asia-Pacific Area studies: Issues and Challenges facing the Asia-Pacific Region